Sunday, April 8, 2018

A Few Trees in Brooklyn

An American Writers Dream: To Live in Brooklyn

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


       I've always wanted to live in NYC. Especially in Brooklyn. It seemed like a place where things HAPPENED, not like my sleepy suburb in NJ.

       Now I live here.

       Brooklyn can be tough--tense and crowded, with many people needing groceries, cash from the bank, service at the post office--lines, lines, lines and soooo many people. I'm having trouble adjusting to it.

     So I escape to Prospect Park.  Here's a few scenes to bring you along with me.

A Brooklyn writer's American Dream
A friend said she was in need of Spring yesterday, so I stopped on my way to the Brooklyn Central Library and took a picture of magnolia buds waiting to bloom.

A Brooklyn writer's American Dream
In the center is the magnolia tree, covered with a thousand similar buds.

A Brooklyn writer's American Dream
Here's a cherry tree in bloom, the first courageous one to brave this cold spring.

A Brooklyn writer's American Dream
Toddlers playing soccer in the park -- that's a sign of Spring too.

A Brooklyn writer's American Dream
The doors to my destination, the mother ship of all the Brooklyn Public Library branches. I'm not crazy about this building, I don't feel great walking in its doors, the way I feel entering other buildings, especially historic ones in Paris : ) But I've found a work area on the third floor that has big windows that look out on the trees of the park. I can write there.

How about living in Brooklyn? Or do you prefer the leafy suburbs, or the country? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment