Wednesday, July 31, 2019

This Suburb of Paris, C'est Extraordinaire!!

Yes, I'm in Search of the American Dream...

by Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


I'm in France for a new creative writing sabbatical, this time only three weeks. I won't finish a novel, like I did last time in a year-long sabbatical. 

But I'm making a big dent in a new novel, set in Brooklyn where I live now.

I'm grateful for my friends, whose hospitality makes this sabbatical possible.

Christelle lives in Viroflay, a suburb of Paris. Only 20 minutes by train to Gare Montparnasse! 

I've been exploring Paris, and also Viroflay. I'm delighted -- see pics from Viroflay below. And the people have been charming.

A few days ago, I went to a pharmacy in Viroflay, where I'm staying. I said "J'essaye en francais," which means, "I will try in French." And I told her in French that I felt I was coming down with the "grippe," like I had sand in my eyes. I demonstrated a cough. Then I stopped.

"Now we try in English," she said with a smile. I was crestfallen, but it worked out better. She interviewed me and found out I had headache and that I wasn't allergic to ibuprophen. She told me sand in the eyes is ALWAYS allergy. I never knew that. And I'm still not convinced it's true. She told me that the sleep aid I had at Christelle's would work with the ibuprophen she was giving me. 

She conducted a medical consultation in English! Wow! I'm sure she doesn't have to do that every day. Yet she switched to English with ease. These French are amazing! And she had such a big smile for me. She was patient while I tried in French, and she appreciated me trying in French. "Enjoy your time in Paris," she said as I left. I had a big smile on my face too. Citizens of two great democracies (may the far right and far left in both our nations not ruin everything) working together and having a great time.

Everyone in Viroflay -- and the Parisians, too -- has been so patient with me speaking French. Between a little French here and a little English there, I've managed to get through the reception process at two libraries, to get the bit of paperwork done and to gain an understanding of the rules.

I'm so grateful for my bit of French!

This has been a soul-satisfying stay. I bought chevre (goat cheese) in the farmer's market this morning and had it with slices of baguette. The bread was crusty. The cheese was white. Firm. Packed with flavor. Glorious!

Here are a few more pictures of beautiful French houses in Viroflay:

in search of the American Dream
I like the little room above the door.



in search of the American Dream
Gates, walls, such a sense of enclosure, of safety.



in search of the American Dream
All these houses are built of local stone.



in search of the American Dream

in search of the American Dream



in search of the American Dream





in search of the American Dream



in search of the American Dream



in search of the American Dream




I went for a walk in the forest of Meudon, just outside my village of Viroflay.



in search of the American Dream
The older houses have tile work that's so appealing. I'd love to live in one of these houses!



in search of the American Dream






There's Christelle on a little shortcut through Viroflay.



This house on the right provides a wall for this little narrow way.


The town puts in lots of flowers, at every opportunity, as most towns do in France. How about you? Would you like to leave your life in the U.S. and live in one of these houses? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment