Saturday, June 22, 2013

Favorite Places in Mystic, CT

"Mystic is mystical," I told my mother the first time I visited her there in her new home. And it's true. I want to show you some favorite places.



The brand new bridge house for the Mystic drawbridge.

The giant gear that helps to lift the entire roadbed.




The facade of a fabulous store, The Emporium. It's in an 1800s building and has the original wide-plank floors, which are worn by all the human footsteps on them. Inside is just about everything under the sun. In the basement is the children's department, including a huge display of seashells. I delighted my children's hearts with five exotic shells for five dollars, when they were little.

The Emporium's building is for sale, which worries me.

Probably my favorite all-time bookshop. You can see Mystic's historic commercial buildings in the reflection.

Inside the bookstore, a poster of the doors of Stonington. I've posted enough pictures of Stonington doors on this blog to keep you happy for a millenium.

Another favorite place, the Green Marble coffee shop. An indy bookstore and an indy coffee shop within 50 yards of each other -- sheer bliss.

A book in a bag, a newspaper, a cappuccino -- can you tell these are the things that make me intensely happy?

Look at all the varieties of coffee beans for sale. Starbucks doesn't do this any more -- your choice is dark or light. Tell me, where is your favorite indy coffee shop or bookstore?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my, Norma... when were you in Mystic? My father & I just visited this lovely town during this Father's Day weekend. We hadn't been there since I was a little girl many, many years ago... it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete