Monday, August 5, 2019

Wait--Another Gorgeous Library, You Say?

Visiting Libraries While In Search of the American Dream

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

The Bibliotheque Mazarine (featured immediately below) closed for the month of August, which forced me, ever so unfortunately, to find another historic library to work in.  

My search, conducted online (here's the link again to the 10 of the Most Beautiful Libraries in Paris, according to Welcome2France), showed me which library I wanted to visit next.

It's the Bibliotheque Richelieu. It was opened to the public in 1868.

For 20 euros, I got a pass to the Manuscript Room for five days. 

In the Manuscript Room, people study manuscript -- of all things. They rest a big, thick, old, fragile book on a red velvet covered frame that allows a person to open and read the pages without laying the book open flat, which would stress the binding. 

As I wrote another chapter or two last Wednesday, people were ever so patiently and gently flipping the pages in these old books. They would read, jot a note in their notebooks, read some more, jot some more. They would tenderly take a photo of a page.

It gave me so much happiness to write in a room where people had such a great respect for, love for, books. It was an emotionally satisfying experience to create a new book in a place where people have such high regard for books. I've never experienced a day of writing quite like it. 

I look forward to being there another two days and hope to have lots of good scenes written and then two days at The Arsenal, and then it will be Sunday.

On Sunday I'll take my host Christelle and her boyfriend to lunch, hopefully somewhere near the Montparnasse station. Around 1 I'll catch the Orlybus. Then I'll hunt for a bus within Orly that will take me out to where my airplane is on the tarmac.


6 in the evening (Paris time) is take-off. Eight hour flight. Land in Newark, NJ. Take the monorail to the NJ Transit train station. Transfer and go into Penn in Manhattan. Walk 2 long blocks east to Broadway and the Q. 

I'll arrive home in Brooklyn at approximately 3 a.m., at least that is the time that my body and brain (acclimated to French time) will think it is. If I slept until 7 in the morning in Paris, by the time I get home in Brooklyn I will have been awake and struggling with travel (based on the Latin word travail) for more than 20 hours.

I'll fall into bed at what is really 9 p.m. New York time and sleep until 8 the next morning. I hope. And maybe that will be it -- there will be no jetlag. What are the chances of that?

Here are my pictures of the Richelieu.

in Search of the American Dream
Look at this front door! It's freakin' amazing!

in Search of the American Dream
Just your average window...with a gargoyle, and above, a row of intriguing attic windows. Stand by for a post with pics of French attic windows!

in Search of the American Dream
One of the facades in the courtyard leading to the Richelieu.

in Search of the American Dream
This is the main reading room. As a member of the general public, you can take a picture from the entryway. Only scholars are allowed to sit down.

in Search of the American Dream
Arches, tables, table lamps, books.

in Search of the American Dream
Holding up an arch is a beautiful sculpture -- of course! 

in Search of the American Dream
The Manuscript Room was on the third floor, at the end of this very modern covered walkway.

in Search of the American Dream
A mere door to the Manuscript Room.

in Search of the American Dream
A row of arched windows.


in Search of the American Dream
This is the red velvet-covered frame that holds the big, old books.

in Search of the American Dream
At each end of the library was a circular staircase leading up to the next level.

in Search of the American Dream
The arch of the window is reflected by a reverse arch carved into the wood. 

in Search of the American Dream
This is the cover to the access to the catalog of manuscripts.

A jolly little rolling staircase to reach the high-up books. It has little traps under each stair, to prevent any books that might be stacked on the stairs from slipping and crashing to the floor.

in Search of the American Dream
The stair rolls along a built-in edge (see the very top). 
I just loved writing in this library! I think it's beautiful! What about you? Commend below!





2 comments:

  1. I'd love to take a French/Parisian library tour with you! When I was a summer student at Oxford, I got a visitor's library card. Had to promise not to kindle fires for warmth (oath dates to medieval times). Sounds like quite a marathon trip home. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERB MY WIFE WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM DIABETES .
    Is my pleasure to comment on this site and i thank the admin of this site for his/her great work so far.one of the happiest moment in my life was when the doctor confirm that my wife is been free from this illness. this awesome moments makes me the happiest man on earth, I really don't know how to thank DR WILLIAMS for helping my wife get cured of over how many year of suffering from diabetes. i came across DR Williams contact through a headline news on internet about how DR Williams help a woman to get cured of her diabetes,and so many other with similar body problem ,i contacted him and he told me how to get his herb,few day later he sent me the herbal portion which my wife take every morning for 28 days, and his medicine was able to cure her completely from diabetes. and now she very mush okay without any side effects whatsoever, If you have any form of diabetes., you can always contact him on his email address drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete