Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The 7th Arrondissement and Treats

Paris Is a Treat While in Search of the American Dream

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


The bane of my existence is treats. I think of them as a reward for a long day finished with as much living and working packed into it as I can. I need a reward for my hard work. It used to be a glass of wine...which became two....which was reaching toward three....which was almost a whole bottle for moi même. So I quit alcohol.

Before that it was a chocolate chip cookie. Then it became two, then three. So I gave those up too.

It's still a struggle for me to find rewards. I've never found a better one than a cookie or a glass of wine -- isn't sugar just grand? At first it is, and then it leaves me feeling lower than before. And it's highly addictive. Rats in experiments choose sugar over cocaine. 100% of the time.

Because I'm clearly a sugar addict, I had to give it up. An apple, unfortunately, just doesn't give me that "aaaaah" feeling. 

It's an ongoing struggle. I don't have the answer yet. Buy a small bouquet of flowers? Soak in a lavender- scented bath? Buy a new blouse? All good things. But I'd rather have a scone and a cup of coffee. It gives me that "aaaaah" feeling. But soon it's not just once a week, it's twice, three times a week...

But I offer you now a rather large treat I enjoyed for a year -- Paris!!! I was there in search of my American Dream: to write a good novel. My reviewers are telling me it's good. Now for the second half of my American Dream: for all the work of writing a novel to pay off handsomely. We'll have to wait and see.

Today we're in the 7th arrondissement, catching glimpses of big treats and little ones. Behold:




Nothing like peering down a Paris street, a treat in itself, and catching a glimpse.

Another day, another glimpse.

Oops, the tower is tilting just a bit. Must be windy...

Here are the little treats -- looking in the window of a chocolatier in the 7th arrondissement. Women's pumps made of chocolate -- what a treat of the imagination!

More treats in the same window.

Macarons. Aaaah, if I could have just one.

10 Euros is not a bad price for a designer handbag.

Isn't it a beautiful shop window? A treat for the eyes.

This is a different store, where French chocolates are lined up in a more regimented style.

I like the first window better. I almost wasn't able to resist that day! How about you? Do you love chocolate, treats, rewards? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment