Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mystic Bridge House. Come debate me on historic significance!

My American Dream of Preserved Historic Buildings

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

These shots were taken in autumn.  Remember the good old days, with temps in the 50s and 60s?

Today I'm offering more than the weather to be nostalgic about.


Even in Mystic, full of shoppers nine months a year, a few storefronts are still empty. Remember what a booming economy felt like? I'm nostalgic for that.


Fall roses. A beautiful sight at...

…a beautiful Mystic riverfront house. Sometimes it's hard to look at what only a few people can afford to enjoy, do you think? Then I have to let go of it and say, "I hope you enjoy it in good health," and I'm content with my little cottage again. At least this historic home is in the hands of someone taking magnificent care of it.

The house was built in 1834 by Daniel Williams, marine entrepreneur. That stone foundation looks stronger than my concrete foundation from 1952.

A romantic door.

This is the view that house has -- of historic Mystic Seaport itself.

Another autumn garden nearby.

The old Mystic Drawbridge bridge house, with a crane lurking in the background waiting to
 demolish it. 

The new house that's now on the bridge is probably warmer and has the latest technology in it, but it lacks the history, the historical significance.


Brand spanking new, but somehow….not as terrific. Do you agree?  If you like my blog, would you sign up to follow it? And RT, +1, or Share? Tnx!!



No comments:

Post a Comment