Wednesday, January 17, 2018

A Brooklyn Writer's American Dream: To Write during a Blizzard

An American Dream: See Brooklyn in a Blizzard
By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


Today I'm in North Carolina with my new grandson, and it's snowing in a way that this part of the country rarely sees. It's nearly a white-out outside and has been for hours. The snow will continue until late tonight. 

It reminds me of the blizzard we had 12 days ago in the Northeast. In Brooklyn, I went for walks in the blizzard and enjoyed seeing my neighborhood blurred and ambiguous behind curtains of snow.




American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
The wind blew snow between the bricks in the pre-war apartment buildings of my neighborhood.


American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
I would have preferred being the only person out walking, but that never seems to be possible in crowded Brooklyn.

American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
Aaah, I almost have Prospect Park all to myself.

American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
But no, a jogger in red Santa Claus tights...

In Search of the American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
A cross-country skier...

In Search of the American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
The grass under these shade trees would be mobbed with family picnics if it were summer. Now it seems as though I am alone....

In Search of the American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
But no, they're plowing the ring road around the park. Then my phone/camera died in objection to being out in all weather. 

In Search of the American Dream: Brooklyn Writer
But I have one more pic for you anyway, me holding a book I'd written, with my name on it, for the first time ever.

1 comment: