Sunday, January 24, 2016

Bryant Park Skating Rink at Night

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

Some scenes from New York at night coming up. But first, a moment of silence for a beloved backpack. It went all around the country with me, on my back for 10,000 miles and all over more than 20 cities.
Then it went to Paris with me: libraries, the Louvre, up the Eiffel Tower. It went up into the French Alps with me, through Provence, Nice, and other South-of-France cities, to the Atlantic coast of France. 

It went to Barcelona, through Las Ramblas, the Gothic Quarter, under the Arc de Triomphe. It watched the wild parrots flit through the palm trees with me and waited for me while I swam in the Mediterranean.


The only reason I tossed it was the back straps were badly frayed and looking very poorly. Don't anybody comment below that I could have replaced the back straps!

On to happier things. This is the fountain at Bryant Park, merrily babbling.

Here's an intrepid skater, very tall on his skates.

Showing a little footwork.

Here's one of the skate guards, telling the wild ones to slow down.

A glass pavilion overlooking the ice at Bryant Park.

More guards. Looking quite comfortable on skates.

A little love in the making?

And a last goodbye to the best ever backpack. How about you? Do you get fond of things and then wait years before you throw them away? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment