Wednesday, January 13, 2016

American Dream: To Live in Brooklyn!

American Dream: To Live in NYC, and in Brooklyn -- Even Better!

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

One of my dreams has come true. I was always curious, what was it about Brooklyn that people enjoyed so much?

I've been here two weeks, and I approve of Brooklyn! It's bustling, the neighbors are getting to know me and saying hello, there's LOTS of great cafes to choose from to work in. It's got a diverse population, and that's important to me at this point in my life. I like to talk to all kinds of people.

If I won PowerBall, I'd buy a row of brownstones, renovate them, and rent them out at cost to my family (except most of them hate the city) so therefore artist friends.

Here's some scenes from my neighborhood, Bedford-Stuyvesant.


It's January, and it's COLD. But the sun warms the faces of the brownstones.

Here's a close-up of a handsome one.

The front door is glamorous.

There's lots of murals around. This one spells out "Brooklyn."

A row of bigger brownstones. The area is gentrifying rapidly. Notice the architectural details under the eaves and above the doors and windows.

Here's another mural, on a corner. That's my shadow in the corner :)

A mural with a message: Stay in school.

"Find the good and praise it!"

Here's another mural, one of a row of brownstones.

It's glamorous enough for a movie set, no? Well, there's lots of movies being made in Brooklyn. My roommate directs indie films!
How about you? Do you dream of living in the city? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, Norma! And love the brownstones. This is a special part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pearl! Thanks so much for your comment! Do you live in the city or the country? Have you had a chance to visit Brooklyn yet?

    ReplyDelete