Thursday, August 20, 2015

Artist's Studio in Stonington, CT

American Dream: An Artist's Studio in a Rampling Old Mill

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


In the Velvet Mill in Stonington, CT, a rabbit warren of studios and markets, I encountered the photography and textiles studio of Nancy Apthorp, and I thought you would enjoy seeing it.


Her work surface is scattered with tools, bits and pieces.

She has a luscious stash of fabric, and a sewing machine set up, ready to go.


Photographer and textile artist Nancy Apthorp. She made a handbag (on the right) with a man's tie for a handle.


Some of her photography exhibit.

I went back to her studio for a second visit, taking my father's ties. I'd like to make them into a quilt.

She "played" with the silk ties, showing me all kinds of ways they could be laid out into patterns.

One of her favorite types of fabric is men's suit fabric, especially wools, which you see behind the ties. How about you? Do you get the creative itch sometimes? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment