Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New York Public Library II - Rose Reading Room

American Dreams of Having One of My Stories on the Shelves

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


You know that I'm passionate about the Map Room, but I decided to try something new today. I'm in the Rose Main Reading Room on the third floor. It's one of the largest uninterrupted interior spaces in the city--almost as long as a football field. 


Three kinds of heads, including a sleepyhead, at my table.

The people behind me to one side.

The people behind me to the other side. Past the glare of the windows, you can see skyscrapers lurking on the edges of Bryant Park, behind the library.

The fantastic ceiling, and most important, the cutie directly across from me. When my flash went off inadvertently, he scowled, I said sorry, and he didn't rip the camera from my hand. A nice New Yorker!

Each spot at the big tables is numbered. The catalog says there's room for 636 readers, but obviously that's not true. You can see the laptop that's responsible for this blog. 



Two people talking quietly. It's quite quiet in here. You can work but feel like you have company.


No comments:

Post a Comment