Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Fire Island and the American Dream

Dreaming of Sun, Surf and Sand

It's appropriate in cold December to take a look at September's beauty.

These pictures I cannot take credit for: my brother Chuck took them. His photos will draw you to Fire Island even better than I could. I took pictures in the September sun (see two previous posts); he took pictures of the turbulent autumn sky and ferocious surf. Enjoy!

My sister and I enjoying a madcap, un-lifeguarded September swim.

That's me approaching. The fences could hardly protect this barrier sand dune, known as Fire Island, from erosion during Hurricane Sandy.

My sister, mother, and I waiting for the ferry bringing a dear cousin.

Me, in the black straw brim, among all the wagons and bikes that homeowners lock up near the ferry. We rented for a week and got the use of the wagon, essential when bringing a week's food with you. Food on FI is very expensive because it all gets delivered to the island by ferry.

We saw hundreds of monarch butterflies in the course of a week (see center left of photo). They were migrating to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment