Thursday, August 9, 2012

American Dreams in New York City

Whitman and O'Hara Celebrate the City

American Dreams: Financiers, Poets, Immigrants, the Huddled Masses

I love New York City!  American Dreams have been going boom and bust in the Financial District since the Dutch arrived and called Manhattan "New Amsterdam."

What do you think? True or false: Is the American Dream all selfishness? Please comment below.


The Winter Garden in the World Financial Center.  In neighboring skyscrapers, American Dreams are being dreamed, fulfilled, or mercilessly shut down.

Walt Whitman's poem about the city is worked into the wrought iron railing outside the Winter Garden.  It reads, "City of the world.  (For all races are here, all the lands of the earth make contributions here:)  City of the sea! City of wharves and stores - city of tall facades of marble and iron!  Proud and passionate city - mettlesome, mad, extravagant, city!"  

Another poet's words are worked into the railing in another spot -- Frank O'Hara:
"One need never leave the confines of New York to get all the greenery one wishes -- I can't even enjoy a glade of grass unless I know there's a subway handy, or a record store or some other sign that people do not totally regret life."



The Winter Garden from outside, with the Freedom Tower half clad in glass to the right behind it.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lucky you, to have grown up exploring the greatest city in the world! I have more great spots in the city to show you and everyone.

      Delete
  2. I love this great city of dreams. Am I selfish for wanting to live here? Its not about money or business. I love the people that live here. They come from all over the world to try to make a better life and for God-given freedom. I feel alive here. And happy. And I feel the desire to make it a better place for mankind. Is that selfish? I call it inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment, Pearl! I love New Yorkers, too! Almost everyone trying to achieve, working to make their dream come true. I'm inspired by all the people, too!

      Delete