Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Monterey, Salinas and Cannery Row: Steinbeck Country









I walked for two hours along the Pacific coastline on the Monterey peninsula, from five to seven p.m.  I got to see beautiful pearlescence in the sky as the moist air turned all colors of mother of pearl while the sun set.  No clouds, just pearlescence...

Weird foliage and mother of pearl sea and sky.

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting the Monterrey County historian and an archeologist who has worked on Indian artifacts for 40 years.  Then the John Steinbeck museum.  The closer I get to that museum, the worse I feel about my own writing....then I'll go to the Monterey aquarium and see the creatures that grow in the bay and think that at least I can write better than that eight-armed starfish...

So, I just have to give myself a good talking to -- never, never, never give up.  A little Winston Churchillian stiff upper lipness.

I'm on the Monterrey Peninsula tonight, enjoying sea breezes in a hostel that costs $25 a night.  Meanwhile the millionaires along the coast have to pay mortgages and taxes and upkeep and wash their windows every three days if they want to be able to see out of them : )


Weird foliage.  Déjà vu all over again.


Intense close-up of weird foliage.

A millionaire's home overlooking Monterey Bay that's been turned into a B&B.




I've been playing hooky from real life since October 1 -- a new city every two days.  It's been so much fun.  How on earth will I be able to tolerate being in my house day after day, once I get home?


1 comment:

  1. My friend Bill Tarleton wrote:

    Churchill was a mean old bastard and an alcoholic but i love him so. He is always in the list of "who would you invite to dinner if you could invite three people from any time in history?" list....

    ReplyDelete