Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Traveling Writer vs. Kids in Barcelona

Persistence in Search of the American Dream

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


Dear fellow adventurers,


Please take a look at a fun (nearly manic) essay I wrote about perseverance, in which I admit to many things, including the idea that I may be more talented at perseverance than anything else in life : ) It's here, on ChangeThis.com, also known as CEO Reads.



Also, I’m quoted recently in The Washington Post travel section, in an article about rental car mistakes to be avoided (i.e., the one I made). Check it out here
Now, for some photos of Barcelona, a spectacularly beautiful city. Then this week’s story – see exactly how some other Spanish kids exhibited their disrespect to me.

the traveling writer in search of the American Dream
-->
These pics are all from the Plaça Milicia del Desconegut. Styles from different periods of Barcelona's history stand shoulder to shoulder.

the traveling writer in search of the American Dream

the traveling writer in search of the American Dream
A mysterious doorway -- ooooo, what Catalan princess swooned here for her crazy Spanish suitor?

the traveling writer in search of the American Dream
Catalan flags draped on balconies in the plaza.

the traveling writer in search of the American Dream
Great hulking buildings -- what scenes of human travail has this one witnessed?

The Traveling Writer Resumes Her Theme

My friend May, a professor of economics and avid writer herself, replied to my last post that I was making a generalization about Spanish children. I agree with her that generalizations are dangerous to make, especially about people—not only dangerous for the people being stereotyped but also for the person making the stereotype. Generalizations / stereotypes cut us off from the richness and variety and truth of the situation.


But today I’ll tell you about some other kids in Barcelona that I taught and what happened. I’ll also quote two other adults who work with Spanish children. Then we’ll agree to not generalize about all Spanish kids.


While I lived with the 3 feral boys, some friends of their family stopped by. They seemed like nice folks, nice kids. They wanted me to teach their two girls English twice a week, on their lunch break from school. My employers said OK, so I said OK, very glad to have 30 euros in my pocket after every lesson.


Then the families stood around talking to each other in Catalan, and I just stood there, being polite and smiling and not understanding a word. Then one of the two girls I’d be teaching began doing something I’d never seen before, and it horrified me.


She lay down on the tile floor on her back, and lifted her feet up toward her father’s legs, and very slowly and incredibly gently lowered the soles of her feet onto his thighs. It wasn’t so much the action itself as her attitude. She exuded disrespect – she was doing this to lower her father. To me it was quite clear. We all read people’s attitudes every day. I think that I can read as well as the next person and that you would have gotten the same impression.


But I had agreed to teach, and I thought I might be able to handle two girls better than three boys that operated like a pack of wolves.


So I picked the girls up from school a few days later.


We walked toward their house, which was high on a hill and overlooked the blue Mediterranean Sea. To get there, we had to pass a fenced-in pasture where Calçot, a donkey, lived all alone. (His name means Green Onion in Catalan, by the way). There was tall grass along the fence, and some of it had turned brown in the intense autumn sun.


I walked ahead of the two girls, who kept a leisurely pace behind me. They weren’t in a big hurry to do more schoolwork, that’s for sure.


Well, the lesson went pretty well. The younger girl started to put her feet on me under the dining room table and I grabbed her ankle and said “No!” very firmly. She tried again another day, but on this particular day I didn’t feel her feet brushing my leg any more. The younger girl was very reluctant to participate in the games,  was slithery on the couch, made it clear she didn't much care. But with cajoling we got through the games in English that I had prepared. The older daughter seemed to have much more fun--and less of an issue with showing disrespect.


When the mother arrived home from work, I asked the girls to do the games again, to show their mom they had learned something. Then she paid me, and the 30 euros felt like bliss in my pocket. I scooted down the hill, past Calçot, and arrived on the terrace of the boys’ house with time left in the day to write.


As I wrote, I paused and touched my hair. I felt something prickly stuck there. It was bits of dried grass. How’d that get there, I wondered to myself. Then I felt another piece.


I jumped to my feet. There were bits of dead grass on the back of my head and the back of my clothes, from head to toe.


Those girls. They just had to show disrespect to an adult. It was their biggest preoccupation, evidently.


The Traveling Writer Persists in Search of the American Dream

I vowed to never walk ahead of them again.



But those 30 euros were wonderful. I would teach them again. And I would insist that those feet not rest any part of my body.
Now I’ll tell you about two other adults I talked to about the disrespect they experienced from Spanish children. One was my pastor at a church in a neighborhood of Barcelona called Gracia. The church was Eglise de Gracia, a play on the neighborhood name and the grace of God. The pastor’s name was David, and I asked him for advice to deal with the 3 boys I lived with and their disrespect.


“I used to coach my sons in football,” he said. Football is known as soccer in the U.S. Barcelona has a world-famous soccer team.  “I did it for two years, but the boys I coached were so disrespectful to me that I had to give it up.”


So there’s that. And there’s the quote I gave you in the last post, from a Barcelona native: “Los niños en España respetan nada.”


And then there’s the beautiful American woman I met at church, Stephanie, who translated David’s excellent sermons from Spanish to English for me. She was a teacher in an elementary school in Barcelona. She said the disrespect was constant, viral, feral, and hopeless. 

“I just do the best I can,” she admitted, “but it’s really awful, and awfully hard on me.”


That’s how I felt too. Next post, in two weeks: more stories of disrespect. Then maybe we’ll move on. How about you? Do you insist, like my friend May, that I ought not to make generalizations about Spanish children, or even just Barcelona children? We agreed at the top not to generalize, right? Okay, shall we stick to that? : ) Comment below!

7 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I'm with May on this. All those children just seem like lively kids to me. And using a term like 'feral' in this context makes me feel uncomfortable. Maybe teaching simply isn't for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
      Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
      including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
      Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
      500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
      forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
      any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
      contact : illuminati666officialcult@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(706)804-2665 EL
      IAI LEXION Thaddeus Iam Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
      ORGANIZATION

      Do not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.

      Whatsapp: +1(706)804-2665
      Email : illuminati666officialcult@gmail.com

      BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
      BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
      THANKS.'....//

      Delete
  2. Hi, Cast, thanks for your comment. I will cease and desist on this theme about Spanish children! You and May are both quite right, best to allow the stereotyping to molder elsewhere. And I won't be seeking more nanny jobs : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to all post of Illuminati cult where all your heart desire are granted and power over all things in the world, this is well know fact that the Illuminati church consist of multi billionaires and have power, wealth, riches and be a famous person in the world. Join the Illuminati cult online today and get instant sum of 300million dollars with a free home anywhere you choose to live in the world and also get 100,000,000 dollars monthly as a salary... If you are interested please kindly fill the following information's to this email below (illuminatisocietyagent95@gmail.com or Whats-app +2348159043264}.or contact the head office +(6)31906022. BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERS WHO JOIN ILLUMINATI. A Cash Reward of USD $300,000,000 USD A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD $120,000 USD A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination. One year Golf Membership package A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World A total Lifestyle change Access to Bohemian Grove Monthly payment of $70,000,000 USD into your bank account every month as a member One Month booked Appointment with Top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World. Tell us little about yourself... No dirty game,no sacrifices and No evil, a cult of peace, big aim Illuminati email us (illuminatisocietyagent95@gmail.com or whatsapp us on +2348159042364.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiness is all I see now as Mr Brian Crafton have finally made me rich, This is my testimony on how I finally join the worldwide illuminati after I have been trying to join the brotherhood for a very long time, until last week here when I met Mr Brian Crafton online who helped me to join the brotherhood online and i receive the sum of 1.5 million us dollars in to my bank account instantly after my online initiation ritual and also I will be earning 100,000$ every month end, Am so happy! If you are interested to Join the worldwide illuminate today, contact Brian Frederick today instead of accepting scammers to take your money all the name of helping you join, whatssap +2348129175848

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't lose your hard earned money to fraudsters especially this period, a lot of desperate people are out there looking for ways to survive. Just tread with caution, money is hard to get! to join the Illuminati, kindly call or WhatsApp me with this number +2348129175848.You will receive a confirmation Message from the Illuminati confirming your registration. once that is done, you will be receiving Message ge from the Illuminati, kindly read the messages and be Patient! Don't be in too much haste! this is one reason why some of you keep being scammed, because you're in a haste to getting there. Patient is a virtue, be patient!
    HAIL THE LIGHT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Norma,I've been a sub teacher in America for 23 years. At the beginning of those 23 years I had elementary kids at home too.I may have forgotten how young kids act.Their attention span is so small and they are very selfish. Before you are a parent you think it is just the graceful passage of time that matures kids, but no...it is really the stressful pressure of adults.Adults like parents, teachers,coaches, grandparents, ballet teachers, nannies and foreign language teachers. This deal with the feet is just"I'm bored, let's go" or "pay attention to me." It will take years and years of being reminded of all the instances where Mom or Dad made a sacrifice so she could have a play date. Then maybe the child will let the parent have a conversation or enjoy shopping.One time my youngest was literally pulling my arm in a store he wanted to leave. Now he is a very considerate, married, Aeronatical Engineer. I was thinking American kids are such brats, you reminded me they are all just immature.

    ReplyDelete