Saturday, May 19, 2018

An American Dream: Writing in Brooklyn, for Love (and Money)

Quirky Stories from a Brooklyn Writer Who Writes for Love – and, to be honest, money

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


I write, I'm afraid, with a double motive.

First, I write for the sake of writing. Being a writer who needs ideas for her texts forces me to stay awake to the world. It makes me more alive. Writing keeps me company during the hours that go into it. Writing gives me a chance to make art out of my life, which has quite its share of anguish, i.e., useful fodder.

I love to write something that I think will delight readers. There’s nothing I like better than knowing that I have a good book to read at home, to help me escape the harsh realities of life. I want to give that gift to people.

I love to find quirky, unexpected people, stories, pictures, and to share them with readers.

Do I wish that my writing’s sales helped me not to be a burden on my family someday, when I’m very old?

Yes, I wish it. So I write for money too.

But when the money disappoints, as it’s most likely to do in the writing business, it’s time to reset the button to “doing it for its own sake. Do it for the love of it.”

That’s where the walnut-sized bit of energy is – the same amount of mass and energy that our universe was born from. I believe it was held between God’s fingers. And then he let it go. For love. Scientists say all the laws of physics were in place within nanoseconds of that letting go. They say the laws are true in every spot in our ever-expanding universe. And God didn’t end his love for the world there. After creatures and humans populated the earth, he courted humankind, and when the time was right he came here and lived his life as an example of love.

So what is the walnut-sized bit of energy, inspiration, joy that can fuel this day’s writing.?

It’s doing it for the love of it. For the joy of connecting with readers. For knowing what my own thoughts are. For giving the world something good, made with love.

So here are some quirky pictures from my quirky life in Brooklyn. I live a 12-minute walk from Prospect Park and I’m there nearly every day, year round. I especially love the park in blizzards, which is bizarre but true. See a recent one here.

Come along and enjoy spring with me in Brooklyn!




There were whitecaps on Prospect Park's lake this day! 


A magnolia glorying in its glory.

The tree's trunk and branches are peculiar, quirky, and beautiful too. 
How about you? Do you do something creative for love, money or both? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment