Thursday, October 6, 2016

Fun in Coney Island -- But it's a Little Creepy

American Dream: Time at the Seashore

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


My trip to Coney Island was a first -- no a second. I was there with my grandfather in the early 60s, the only time I went out with him. We lived far away and were only visiting Brooklyn briefly. As I recall, it was sunny, and the boardwalk was crowded.

So I went back last May and found it deserted, and creepy.



This is just about the creepiest thing I've ever seen. Gates of hell, anyone? Looks like fun, but then it isn't...

Nothing sadder than a ride no one's using.

I've passed this for years on the Belt Parkway, on my way to see relatives on Long Island, NY.

There's a certain artistry to roller coaster design.

New construction in Coney Island. Maybe there'll be a resurgence of prosperity?

2 comments:

  1. Nice photos, empty amusement parks definitely have a creepy vibe. Maybe it's busier during peak summer months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, T!

      I didn't visit in the summer months because I assumed it was packed with New Yorkers trying to enjoy the seaside. But maybe it wasn't packed...maybe it was just as deserted and creepy : )

      Delete