Tuesday, October 11, 2016

American Dream: A Park Near Your Home

My American Dream: City Life -- with a Park (or Two) Nearby

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft


I've wanted to live in New York City since I was a kid. And now I'm doing it! It has its upsides and downsides. Crowds. Constant brand names trying to grab my attention, on buses, taxis, storefronts, signs. I feel like I'm constantly being sold to. Also, lotta concrete.

But there's upsides. Easy access to free and incredibly excellent events, like outdoor opera in Lincoln Center's plaza. The whole mystique of Manhattan, where I work, and Brooklyn where I live.

I have two parks near me. In Sunset Park, which gives its name to my neighborhood, families hang out on nice evenings and the big entertainment is watching the sun set over New York Harbor, the Statue of Liberty, and the towers of the financial district of Manhattan.

Interesting that we can see the Statue of Liberty from this park: I've sat there for two hours straight and didn't hear English spoken. I love it! We're still attracting people from all over the world. They remind us to dream big.

There's another park, Bush Terminal Park, which offers views of the same vistas but from water level, rather than from atop a big hill.


This jetty extends straight out into New York Harbor.

The towers of the financial district in the distance.

The gritty Brooklyn harbor side.

Manhattan again.

You can see Jersey City competing for tower attention to the left.

This is Bush Terminal.

Entrance to the park.

Irving Bush, who must have had a thriving business.

View at sunset of the financial district of Manhattan from the hill in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

Same view, different sunset.

Different day, post-sunset, as the lights come on. How about you? Got a great park near you? Please tell us, below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment