Tuesday, September 9, 2014

American Dreams: Scene of a Mystic Artists' Commune?

American Dreams of Living and Working Together

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

Sign up to follow my blog! Thanks!


I'm continuing my series on the Spicer House, a fabulous historic home in Mystic that I'd love to live in with artist friends.

Here's Paul McMasters, telling me about the glories, and the difficulties, in restoring this marvelous old home.

On the second floor, a mysterious, more plain staircase leading to...

…that uppermost room I showed you in the last post. It's going to be a party room for whoever lives  or stays here. If it were the artists' commune I'd rather see, it would be a room for creativity, which can be (not always) a different kind of party.

It has a view out over the town and harbor of Mystic. The orange building front and center was built is the Mystic & Noank Library. It was built by the same man who built the house we're in, Captain Spicer, who started out as a midshipman (age 9 or 10) on the seas and came back a wealthy philanthropist.

Another view of the uppermost room.

The ceiling is beautiful, too.

Here's a view from the uppermost stairs down through the stairwell to the parquet floor in the entry hall.

Sign up to follow my blog! Thanks!
Comment below! Why are you crazy about historic homes, like I am?

2 comments:

  1. This place is amazingly beautiful! The plain staircase may be a servant's staircase and the top stair may have been the servant's quarters. The house that I grew up in on Fairmount Ave had a similar setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying these photos. I was thrilled to have a chance to see the interior after admiring the house for years. Did you live in Chatham, NJ? Is that the Fairmount Avenue you're referring to?

      Delete