Friday, March 28, 2014

Grandeur Takes Many Forms

My American Dream: Restoring a Beautiful Home

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

Walking in New London, CT, recently, I saw this house that was spooky with faded glory.


Look at this place! It's deserted now, but think of the family that built it and enjoyed it in the 1800's.


A closer look at some of the architectural details. Look at the peak, with a sunrise medallion, and the rose medallion center right, next to the upstairs balcony. Look at each spindle in the trim -- they've each got two indentations!

 
Built by Samuel Dudley in 1889. Think of the party you could hold beyond those doors, the grand spaces for people to mill in!


Here's the three-story tower on the right side of the house, and the carport (I mean carriage entrance). Spindles, tons of them, again. And a lovely room, full of light, above.

Here's the entrance under the carport. How would you like to paint all those finials?  I think painting this house would be like the Golden Gate Bridge -- you'd finish and start over in the same day. I'll bet this house used to be rented out as apartments. I don't think there's even squatters here anymore.

The back door. No steps! 


The only creatures who've been in this house recently make tracks like this in snow. 


Another look at the details above the front door.

A fond last look at this grand house. Architecture is the creation of spaces for humans to live and work in. I just love this place.


If I had millions to indulge myself with, I would spend half of them on on feeding desparate people and the other half on restoring this house to its former grandeur. Then I would stride through the rooms and up and down the grand staircase that's got to be inside. I'd sit in that tower, at the top, and write and text my friends. If you have that kind of money, why not call this realtor's number? He obviously gave up a long time ago. Go ahead, make his day! The area code is 860, by the way. Will you do it? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment