Tuesday, February 4, 2014

American Dreams of a Welcoming Irish Pub

Beer and Ice Cream in Mystic, CT

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

Folks, my 84-year-old mother is not doing well, and that's why I haven't posted the last two weeks.

But I'm determined to keep you guys happy! You need your fix of Americana, so, onward! 

Let's browse in Connecticut again this week and next.


This Irish pub, near the drawbridge, has been here since my parents moved to Mystic 22 years ago. I've never been inside -- somehow it doesn't invite me. What about you? Do you feel the same way? Comment below.

This is Drawbridge Ice Cream Cafe. When the traffic bar on the left goes down to stop cars on Route 1 so the bridge can open, the people on line (especially in summer) are stuck in front of the ice cream shoppe (so sad!). Next time I go there, I'll get shots of the interior of this indie coffee shop. I avoid going in because the scones are too tempting!


Not far from downtown, fall roses flourish beside an historic house.

A view of a three-master docked at historic Mystic Seaport, with a wood-hulled two-master behind it.



1 comment:

  1. Norma, I'm so sorry that your mom is ailing. I just lifted her in prayer.

    As a child I'd visited Mystic. However, my father and I enjoyed Father's Day weekend last year there… what a lovely town! I'd love to live in that slice of Americana and take daily strolls through the quaint New England town, bike ride, watch the boats, and so much more. Wow--your folks actually live there? I hope they've enjoyed it.

    I also noticed that you've honored my blog, Everyone's Story, by listing it on your blog list. What a blessing. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete