Thursday, November 7, 2013

American Dream of Vacation in the Pennsy Woods

By Norma Jaeger Hopcraft

Family Camping in Quakertown, PA

In the Quakertown area I see many signs for family campgrounds. Within walking distance of my brother's house, there are two.



Here's the sign for the Bridgeway campground. The property faces a huge pond that has a flock of ducks and a lone blue heron. I know because my brother's house faces the pond on the opposite side.

Back over the covered bridge (the stream it crosses runs from the pond and into the grist mill I showed you a few weeks ago).

I can't get over this covered bridge! I mean, I can get over it, thereabs nothing to stop me or anyone obviously, but I can't get over how charming it is.

Just beyond the bridge, on Covered Bridge Road, is this sign, proving my point about family campgrounds...

This is the home of the family that runs Tohickon.

In the summer, the door to the office (on the right of the barn) leads to a small grocery (lots of Good Humor bars in the freezer case) and a small restaurant. People bring campers in all shapes and sizes to the campground, hook up, and relax with other camping families. How about you? Ever done this sort of vacation? How was it? Comment below. If you like the photos, would you RT and Share? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment