Thursday, October 24, 2013

Covered Bridge in PA

My brother lives on Covered Bridge Road in Quakertown, PA, near Bethlehem. Sounds quaint, huh? Well, it is quaint, and I'll prove it to you.



This mill is 1/10th of a mile from my brother's house. It's the Levi Sheard Grist Mill. No one knows when it was built; the earliest deeds date back to 1798. In 1844, Levi Sheard purchased the mill, and it didn't cease operation until 1971. The mill used water power to grind corn, rye or wheat grain into meal.


Machines of an earlier age, stored under the front steps. What's under your front porch?


Here's the covered bridge. I never expected one in Pennsylvania -- I had the impression they were all in Vermont.  It's 130 feet long. I've heard they covered the bridges so the horses wouldn't get spooked by how high they were above the water below.



Here's what it feels like and looks like inside. Beautiful Pennsylvania countryside beckons from beyond. Have you ever been over a covered bridge? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment