Monday, April 22, 2013

American Dream: A Boat

In Search of the American Dream: For Some It's To Be on the Water

Some people dream of owning a boat, and some people's dreams come true when they actually have the means to buy one (and operate it). I wandered in Mystic, CT, in early spring and discovered the Fort Rachel Marina on the edge of town. Here was the physical evidence of dreams come true for many men (and some women, too, I hope). 


The first scene from the boatyard is the reddish sprouting of a peony plant, the promise of a glorious spring for landlubbers and sailors alike.

The entrance to the marina.

Lots of boats awaiting their owners. Some boats were being worked on, some might not get out of their plastic wrappers this season.

A house on a hill overlooking the marina. I think the owners of the marina live here.

A sweet sailboat whose mast has not been stepped yet. The shapes of boats are so interesting when you can see them out of the water.

A power boat for those too impatient to wait for the wind.


Somebody has a lot of work ahead of them to get this hull in sailing trim.


Some interesting equipment around the boatyard. This has a forklift on the front end.

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I visit your blog, not only do I dream that American Dream but I also yearn to take a vacation :) Your'e a gem, Norma, for finding such fascinating places to share with us. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elaine, you encouraged me to blog at ACFW St. Louis. You said you found it very satisfying, so I tried it, and I find that to be true! I love watching out for sights that will interest readers. Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete