Wednesday, February 13, 2013

New London: Recession Killed Some American Dreams

I explored New London on a cold, wintry day. I had to watch where I stepped amongst the slush and ice. New London must have once been magnificent, and it's heartbreaking to see it today.



On Bank Street, I spotted that thing of beauty, an independent coffee shop. Muddy Waters promises "incredible pastries" in the window. I'm an addict, so I'll have to go back to check.

Across the street, signs of the recession--empty storefronts with tattered awnings. Each storefront represent and American Dream gone bust.

A mural in New London.

Another mural. The artistry is beautiful, but the paint will have to last while exposed to salt air from the Long Island Sound. New London is a gritty, struggling city, like so many others in the country. I can't wait for the recession to end (but will it ever? In bleaker moments, I wonder.) Next week: Unexpected gems inTrenton, NJ! I was pleased to make some discoveries in my state's capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment