Thursday, March 29, 2012

Travel in "The Americas"

Thanksgiving Day was the official end of my bus journey around America.

But not the end of my travels in "the Americas."  In December, I went to Costa Rica to check out my son's adopted country.  Since dollars are accepted in Costa Rica, it can be considered part of my "Americas" travel, in my opinion!

The people I got to know in Costa Rica are very happy, spend all of their free time with their families, do not pine for a designer pocketbook or for more acquisition, but are "contento" with simpler, more relaxed lives than we live in the New York City area.  "Contento" is the Costa Rican version of the American dream.

Granted, there is no great art or movies or Pulitzer-prize winning plays coming out of Costa Rica.  For that you need angst, strain, anguish, and culture to feed off of.

But if you're not so much interested in cultural history as in nature, and in being among happy people, Costa Rica is the right place.

My son Will, right, with Milton and Marta, the parents of Will's girlfriend, Indira.  When Will first called me on the phone to tell me he had met a great girl, I thought he said her name was "Endeara," and I thought it was an endearing name.

Will in Cahuita, on the Caribbean coast, with a hibiscus flower in his hair.

His lovely girlfriend, Indira, looks better with the hibiscus flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment