Sunday, November 6, 2011

Seduced by the Grand Canyon

After hearing the Grand Canyon talked about for 50 years, I finally saw it myself.  My first overlook was underwhelming because the view at that spot was very narrow, but as I progressed along the southern rim, I fell deeper and deeper in love.

This man climbed through the fence to see more.

Rocks 300 to 500 million years old.  





Many Native American tribes called the area home.
 a
Alas, I have not seen an elk or a bighorn.  I did see ravens and a pinyon jay (peacock blue in places and very bold -- he flew to my feet to pick up a bit of dried papaya I had dropped, hopped through three trees and onto a rock to eat it.  I couldn't capture him well with my camera -- he always moved very quickly).



I filled my water bottles with Grand Canyon spring water.

Sunset.  This is the view a photographer named Kolb enjoyed for years from his studio (right), now a Park Service gallery.

A little more sunset.

By the time I had to leave, just after sunset to catch the bus back to Flagstaff, I could hardly bear to tear myself away from the Grand Canyon.  It was the first place I've been to that I thought, "I absolutely MUST get back here and see more and do more."  Then I met a Belgian girl in Albuquerque who said Bryce and Canyonlands National Parks in Utah are better.  Who has seen both?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment