Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Long-Awaited CA Coastline Pics

I’m blessed to be in San Diego, staying with the friend of a friend who is fast becoming my own friend.  She’s taking the trouble to show me around.  She took me to the best place in San Diego's Little Italy!  Time to get more great coffee and a flaky pastry!  

This is an old-world Italian cafĂ©, except for the palm tree and Mexican tiles in the outdoor courtyard.  A fountain burbles, and I hear the clank of coffee cups from behind the bar.  A sparrow has joined me on the table, nibbling at sesame seeds someone left behind.

What's funny is my new friend and hostess, Jolene, feels ready to leave San Diego.  She looked around at the weather this morning, said, "Another perfect day in paradise," and said she was ready to move, she was bored with San Diego.  I’m a new arrival and don’t understand at all, but she’s been here many years and must have her reasons.

Meanwhile the Northeast of the country is bracing for the first October snowstorm in sixty years. 

San Diego is a watershed city for me.  I have just three and a half weeks left in my trip.  I turn my face east, toward home, on Tuesday morning.  I’m at my very furthest geographical point from home.  When I planned my trip, I worried about what I would feel at this point – intense homesickness?  Intense loneliness?  But I don’t, I feel sublimely happy.  My only worry is how I’m going to tolerate being at home again.  It will be so dull, not studying a new map of a new city every two days.

What's clear to me is that David Foster Wallace was correct in an essay he wrote about Kafka's humor:   "The journey IS home."


Now for pics of the California coastline (and a pirate in Monterey and in San Luis Obispo):


A pirate on Cannery Row.  If you haven't read Steinbeck's book of the same name, RUN to your local library.  It will delight you.

I liked this pirate's face almost as much as I like Johnny Depp's.

Where Pacific Ocean meets California -- dangerous waters just south of Carmel.

The view south.

The view north.

The glories of the California coastline.

Whoa! Don't drive off the cliff!

The private beach I overlooked at lunchtime.  Almost tumbled down this hill!

In San Luis Obispo, the Thursday night farmer's market brought out the little kids in Halloween costumes.

A mean ole pirate.





3 comments:

  1. Norma, I am enjoying your blog. My recommendation is that you stay in paradise. Although the sun is shining here today and I am forever grateful to God for having a roof over my head and a warm house to keep me safe, the outside looks like a mess I don't want to deal with. Perhaps, this will be it and we will not have any more snow for the rest of the winter!!! It doesn't hurt to have wishful thinking. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Ruth Keeble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ocean pics, esp. the view north and the view of the Carmel waters. My folks lived just south in Lompoc while I was in grad. school - beautiful visiting there. LP

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first of your blog that I have read- am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete