Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'll Go on a Bus Tour to Find the Essence of America

I’m planning to finish my bus tour of America to find out how people are defining success, or “the American dream,” for themselves.  I’m wondering whether they’ve had to downsize their dreams or abandon them altogether.


I’ve set aside October to do it.  I’ll buy Greyhound’s one-month hop-on-hop-off ticket for $535 and stay in Motel 6s and Red Roof Inns and HoJos.  I’ll carry a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter to make breakfast easy every day.  I’ll take my laptop and blog daily.  I’ll gather lots of stories about the people I meet and local color and put them into a fantastic book, “In Search of the Essence of America.”   Or, “The American Dream at Risk.”  Since our dreams for the future drive us, they’re our essence.  And it seems our dreams for the future are under pressure from new realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment