Monday, March 28, 2011

World's Most Beautiful Cities

Live oaks, which keep their leaves all winter,
with gray-green Spanish moss dangling from
branches and azaleas at their feet.
Leaving Savannah now and quite sad about it.

Several people who've been lots of places told me they thought Savannah was one of the most beautiful cities in the world, on the short list with Paris and Quebec.  I thought Venice was pretty special, myself.

I took pictures of some live oaks in Savannah today, glad the sun was in and not bleaching out the colors of the azaleas at their feet. 

Now, on the road northward in the Georgia Low Country, I see big palm trees lining the road and short fan palms growing wild that would survive only in a greenhouse in New Jersey.  A cab driver told me when I arrived that it goes below freezing here several nights a year, but it doesn’t stay that cold for long; that’s how the palms survive.


A palm in front of a beautiful downtown
Savannah commercial building.

No comments:

Post a Comment