Monday, March 28, 2011

In Savannah

Running around, trying to cover a lot of ground and see lots of historic squares and houses in Savannah, I talked to fewer people.

On a one-hour Savannah River cruise, I met Elizabeth, a nurse who had worked in New York City for years at a frantic pace, trying to make money.  She got sick and decided “financial security” wasn’t worth dying for.  She moved to Knoxville, Tennessee and works there now as an operating room nurse.  She goes to Boston to see her ex-husband once in a while, but she prefers spending time with her parents there.

She was raised Buddhist and believes people are basically good.  I compared that in my head with Jeremiah’s statement that the human heart is desperately wicked and deceitful above all things.  And with Jesus’ statement:  “If you, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children…”  I like people, but we’re a dangerous lot, really.  We all could be like the German people under Hitler.

I challenged her to read the Gospels and see what she thought.  And I said I believed there is Absolute Truth and that we all fall far short of it.  She wanted to give me a hug as we parted ways, and of course I thought that was a wonderful idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment