Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Handspans

One week later, everything has changed.  Dad walked around his home with the aid of a walker today.  He’s not coughing – he beat pneumonia, or whatever it was.   He sat up with us for hours on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning.  I left Monday noon thinking he was in okay shape.

He’s tired of being so disabled – he’s gone blind, among other problems – but he’s courageous and usually patient with his weakness.  You don’t want to be around him when he’s exasperated.

So on Tuesday afternoon, after checking on the status in Mystic, I relaunched my plans for the trip.  On Wednesday, my bed became Central Pack.  It’s snowing, in the low 30s here; it will be in the low 80s in Savannah on Saturday and Sunday, so it’s a matter of taking layers.

I opened the maps.  If I stretch my hand as wide as possible, I can touch New York City and Savannah. 

It takes four handspans to reach San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment